Pamir International Model United Nations was organized by Youth Thinkers’ Society – Organization for the very first time in Kabul for afghan youth to provide them a platform for negotiation, sharing ideas, discussion, and face with agreement and disagreement. The conference lasted for three days from 4 – 6 August, 2016 at the Government Media and Information Center, Kabul with over 330 delegates from 29 provinces of Afghanistan and international delegates from India, Australia and Pakistan in participation.
Inter-collegiate Conference was held from 9th – 10th March 2017 at Government Media & Information Center, Kabul, Afghanistan, where an all-female secretariat team hosted more than 226 participants including delegates, executive board, team members and volunteers. During this event YTSO also celebrated International Women’s Day and promoted the localization of SDGs, since the Committee agendas were directly related to the Sustainable Development Goals.
The National Youth Symposium on Sustainable Development Goals was organized from 19-21 April 2017 at Government Media & Information Center in collaboration with Ministry of Economy and sponsored by UNDP and Embassy of Denmark in Kabul. The three day symposium brought together young leaders from all over the country to devise solutions for the localization of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Afghanistan. These young leaders were selected from a variety of disciplines including economy, tech, advocacy, research and policy, government, education, and many more. The program was funded by UNDP and Embassy of Denmark in Afghanistan with technical support from UNWOMEN, UN Volunteers, UNICEF, UNAMA, Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Women Affairs, Economy, Education and Commerce and Industries, Embassies of Germany, the Kingdom of Norway and Canada.
Model UN Exchange Program (Sponsored by US Embassy), In 2017, Youth Thinkers’ Society – Organization collaborated with different MUN organizations in Hong Kong, Indonesia, India, Turkey and Nepal. YTSO through the MUN Exchange Program funded by US Embassy in Kabul selected 42 Young Afghans (21 male & 21 female) from a poll of 600+ applicants from all across Afghanistan to attend these conferences. The selection was done through an online process followed by face to face interview at the US Embassy in Kabul.
Consultation on Sustainable Development Goals Youth Thinkers’ Society Organization held a consultation meeting on Sustainable Development Goals in Kabul, Afghanistan. This meeting was organized at Government Media and Information Center on January 12, 2017 with the participation of Government officials, academia, educators, experts, local and international NGOs, networks and activists in order to create a platform and suitable framework for localization of SDGs in Afghanistan. This consultation meeting was organized with the collaboration of Ministry of Economy, United Nations Development Program, and Institute of Business Studies.
Pamir International Model United Nations 2017 was organized with the participation of more than 340 participants from Afghanistan, India, Pakistan, Germany and Nepal at the Institute of Civil Services, Kabul from 10 – 12 August 2018. The conference was partially supported by the European Union, government of Afghanistan and was mainly on subscription fee of the participants. The conference was a competition of students from 30 different high school and university students.
Inter-Collegiate MUN Conference 2018
Youth Thinkers' Society in Collaboration with the Embassy of the Netherlands in Afghanistan organized a one-day Model United Nations conference to mark the International Women's Day (#IWD2018). 50 students (25 female, 25 male) from 18 different universities and high schools attended the conference. Committees such as, the United Nations Security Council, United Nations Commission on the Status of Women and Counter-terrorism committee were simulated, where the delegates discussed about Women, Peace and, Security. At the end of the conference delegates came up with very substantive resolutions, which later was shared with the actual UNSC in New York and other UN Agencies in Kabul by the Embassy of the Kingdom of Netherlands and YTS.
Pamir International Model Unite Nations 2018 was a three-day conference organized from 29th August to 1st September 2018 in Queen Palace, Kabul. The conference was a competition among 317 students from various universities and high schools of Afghanistan. The conference was designed to promote an atmosphere of positive competition among the participants.
National Youth Symposium on SDGs
2017 & 2018: on Sustainable Development Goals was organized between 19-22 December,2018 with the financial support of UK Embassy in Afghanistan. 200+ youth talents from 34 provinces participated the event. National Youth Symposium 2018 had focus on SDG 4-Quality Education, SDG 6-Clean Water and Sanitation, SDG 11- Sustainable Cities and Communities and SDG 13-Climate Actions. Youth talents shared the challenges of their communities according the SDG sub-groups and came with an innovative solution. Four winner ideas were selected for seed-funding, and we are planning to lobby for the support of remaining ideas which deserve sponsoring.
- UNSC : UNSC was chaired by Moneer Koshani, co-chaired by Hosai Barakzai and Maisam Amiri was the director. 28 delegates participated in the debate discussing issues related to ISIS and other terrorist organizations in the region. They focused as how to tackle these organizations. Delegates were also briefed about the working of UNSC by Moneer Koshani.
- UNWOMEN : UNWOMEN was chaired by Fatima Muradi, co-chaired by Qudsia Poplazai and was the director. One of the largest committees of PIMUN 2016 where more than 50 delegates participated. The delegates discussed various issues related to Women in particular the discussed about Women’s political participation. The delegates adopted a two page resolution with 18 articles.
- UN ECOSOC : Chaired by Moneer Koshani, Raihana Mohammadi and Khudaynazar Rahmani having 90+ delegates. The committee started with brief information to Model United Nations rules of procedure and continued with debate on the topic of Developing international aid for the under developed countries. The topic was passed with a simple majority vote in first session. The second day of ECOSOC committee was headed by Rahim Sediqe. In the end of third day the committee were divided into two blocks After the drafting, the resolutions were presented by the delegates from both blocks and at the end one of the resolutions were passed. The second and third day of ECOSOC committee was chaired by Rahim Sidiqee.
- UNHCR : UNHCR was moderated by Hifza Jilani as chair, Samim as co-chair having 65 delegates. The committee of United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) started with introduction to the roles and procedures of the conference and a pre-session of practice. The procedures and roles were explained by co-chairs and directors. The formal session started after lunch break by passing a moderated caucus on the topic of European refugee crisis and its impacts on global peace and security. The delegates have chosen to be in a group with their allies who have the same position like their countries in their policies. Once resolutions were developed, two representatives from each group presented their findings and solutions. By the end of the day a resolution was passed through votes of delegates.
- The Grand Council of Afghanistan : This extra-ordinary committee of Loye Jirga, hosted 109 delegates. They started debate on the topic “The role of youth in peace and security”. The committee was chaired by Besmillah Taban, and co-chaired by Khadija Hussaini. The committee started by a brief introduction to Model United Nations and rules of procedure of the conference by Khadija Hussaini. Moreover, Besmillah Taban, talked about importance of the topic.
PIMUN CLOSING Ceremony
Youth Thinkers’ Society proudly brought three days full of professional experience i diplomacy, transforming all participants into emerging leaders of tomorrow. By the en of conference in order to celebrate the beauty of Afghanistan which lies within its diversity, PIMUN team organized ‘Afghanistan Night’ which took place on 6th of August 2016 Whereby all the participants focused on celebrating their diversity through cultural presentations. Hence, all the honorable delegates of Pamir International Model United Nations 2016 presented their;
• Cultural Clothes
• And everything that speaks of their culture
Event at ARG
Mohammad Ashraf Ghani, the President of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, hosted the organizers and participants of Pamir International Model United Nations conference at the end of the program. The First Lady of Afghanistan also attended this meeting which was held at the Presidential Palace on August 7th 2016. At the beginning of the meeting, Mr. Moneer Koshani – President of Youth Thinkers’ Society, delivered his speech on behalf of the team and participants. He spoke as how this conference had a positive impact on youth for their leadership and participation in an open dialogue and how can this help build their capacity and improve the situation for youth in Afghanistan.
He stated that this program provided participants the opportunity to learn the importance of tolerance and accepting each other in a society, considering the fact that this program assisted the participants to get the knowledge about volunteering, leadership skills, public speaking communications and building positive relationships. Mr. Besmillah Taban, Ms. Hamida Nazari, Ms. Mehri Dlir, and Mr. Khushal Asefi also spoke about the outcomes of PIMUN.
The President, after listening to the ideas and demands of the participants, said, “Welcome to your own home. It is the place where the President lives with your permission. I hope there will be someone among you who can take this responsibility in the future.” He added, “Yo introduced a language whose words are each other’s understanding and acceptance, struggle and hard work, negotiations and communications. This ensures me that the future of Afghanistan will be secure in your hands.” The President stated, “Creating a negotiating platform is a hug step and you initiated a great practice in the political world similar to the security forces tha sacrifice themselves in the first line of the battle for Afghanistan.”
He promised to personally donate 660 thousand Afghanis for this young generation. The President also mentioned that Afghanistan is the heart and the crossroad of Asia. Thus, we need to realize its geographical location and the selection of Pamir as the name for the Model United Nations program is very important. He said that the top of the world is ours, thus, our young generation needs to be on the top.
The President thanked the youths for being self-confident and said that the young generation experienced that nothing can stop their improvements as they initiated the young movement today. At the end of the meeting, the members of Pamir International Model United Nations conference presented certificates of appreciations for the President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani and the First Lady of Afghanistan.